Quick & Simple Cockroach Prevention Tips For Las Vegas Property Owners
Cockroaches are a pest that most people dread having to encounter in their home or business, and this makes total sense given all of the problems that cockroaches can cause. Most people know that cockroaches can be invasive and that they look gross. What people aren't always aware of is the danger of cockroaches as a result of the pathogens and diseases that they carry.
While not all cockroaches are going to spread disease, they carry many serious illnesses including salmonella and gastroenteritis. They can also cause allergies and asthma attacks and often contaminate food and food preparation surfaces.
For all of these reasons, cockroaches are one of the more dangerous pests commonly found in Las Vegas properties. The best way to protect yourself and others from cockroaches is to focus on prevention as this is much easier than getting rid of an infestation.
While there are a few different species of cockroaches in the area, they all have some common characteristics. The following characteristics can help you identify cockroaches:
- Cockroaches can be anywhere from tan to reddish-brown to black.
- They have six legs with spines on them.
- They have a long pair of antennae.
- Their wings lay flat on their backs.
- They have long, oval-shaped bodies.
Tips To Reduce Factors That Attract Cockroaches To Your Home
Because of the risks associated with cockroaches, taking prevention measures is vital and can go a long way to deterring cockroaches. The first step you should take to prevent cockroaches involves making your property less appealing to them.
Here are some ways you can make your home or business less appealing to cockroaches:
- Moisture attracts cockroaches, fix leaky pipes and faucets to limit excess moisture around your home.
- For the same reason, reduce humidity in the home by using dehumidifiers.
- Further address moisture issues by making sure that crawl spaces, attics, and basements are well-ventilated.
- Store food in airtight containers when possible.
- Also, store pet food in airtight containers and do not leave food and water dishes out overnight.
- Regularly clean your fridge and pantry.
- Sweep and vacuum often.
- Focus on decluttering regularly as clutter gives cockroaches more places to hide.
Tips For Keeping Cockroaches Out
After you have limited attracting factors it's time to focus on ways to keep cockroaches from coming into your home by sealing up any possible access points. This is the second phase of cockroach prevention, and here are the best ways to reduce entry areas for cockroaches:
- Repair any broken screens in doors and windows.
- Install door sweeps on all exterior doors.
- Place weather stripping around doors and windows.
- Ensure that your windows and doors are well fit in their frames.
- Seal up cracks or gaps in exterior walls.
- Try to caulk up any crevices and cracks in the home’s foundation.
- Keep drains clean as some cockroaches can enter a home through the plumbing.
- Get help from pest control experts as this is the most effective way to keep cockroaches out.
Why Professional Cockroach Prevention Is The Best
Taking the steps above to prevent cockroaches is a great start, but the most important step, and the most effective, is to contact the pest control professionals at Red Rock Pest Control. Our experts can both prevent and eliminate cockroach infestations to keep you and your family safe from these dangerous pests. We are proud to provide friendly customer service and quality, reliable pest control. To learn more about our Las Vegas pest control programs, or to request a free inspection, contact us today.